The best mummy blogs and websites to prepare your for pregnancy, labor and parenthood.
Becoming a parent is whole other ballgame when it comes to a steep learning curve.
There is an overwhelming amount of information, do’s and don’t, and conflicting research that will have you scratching your head asking, “So what should I do?”. For some soon-to-be mums and parents, the plethora of parenting websites and books can make you feel inadequate, anxious, fearful, confused and doubting your natural instincts.
Here at MummyCare our goal is to bring together various professional perspectives towards fertility, pregnancy, labor, postpartum and parenthood to allow you to make an informed choice about growing and raising your babies.
There is no right or wrong.
Your personal situation and belief systems will have you choosing different parenting strategies than the next parent. Being confident in your decisions require education, professional evidence, experience and trusting your own maternal instincts.
MummyCare has created an extensive list of trusted resources to help guide your educational process. Refer to this list when you have questions that come up about motherhood and use our TOP FAVORITES to focus your research.
Dr. Alison Chen, ND (aka Mummy G)
Best Mummy Blogs and Websites
Best Regulated Mummy Sites and Associations
- FAVORITE REGULATED MUMMY SITE:
Mother Risk – Treating the mother – Protecting the unborn
- Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention (CDC) – CDC works 24/7 to protect America from health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S. Whether diseases start at home or abroad, are chronic or acute, curable or preventable, human error or deliberate attack, CDC fights disease and supports communities and citizens to do the same.
- Food and Drug Administration – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It consists of the Office of the Commissioner and four directorates overseeing the core functions of the agency: Medical Products and Tobacco, Foods and Veterinary Medicine, Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, and Operations.
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) – the AAP is an organization of 66,000 pediatricians committed to the optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults.
- Child Stats – The Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics (Forum) is a collection of 22 Federal government agencies involved in research and activities related to children and families.
- Caring for Kids – Caring for Kids provides parents with information about their child’s and teen’s health and well-being. Because the site is developed by the Canadian Paediatric Society — the voice of more than 3,000 Canadian paediatricians—you can be sure the information is reliable.
- Women’s Health – The Office on Women’s Health (OWH) was established in 1991 within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). OWH coordinates women’s health efforts across HHS and addresses critical women’s health issues by informing and advancing policies, educating health care professionals and consumers, and supporting model programs.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) – Founded in 1951, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (The College) is the specialty’s premier professional membership organization dedicated to the improvement of women’s health.
- The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada – The SOGC is one of Canada’s oldest national specialty organizations. Established in 1944, the Society’s mission is to promote excellence in the practice of obstetrics and gynaecology and to advance the health of women through leadership, advocacy, collaboration, and education.
- American Pregnancy Association – The American Pregnancy Association is a national health organization committed to promoting reproductive and pregnancy wellness through education, support, advocacy, and community awareness.
- Path2Parenthood (P2P)- Previously known as the American Fertility Association, Path2Parenthood is an inclusive organization committed to helping people create their families by providing leading-edge outreach programs and timely educational information. The scope of our work encompasses reproductive health, infertility prevention and treatment, and family-building options including adoption and third party solutions.
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)- The Vision of the ASRM is to be the nationally and internationally recognized leader for multidisciplinary information, education, advocacy and standards in the field of reproductive medicine.
- Division of Reproductive Health – CDC’s Division of Reproductive Health is the focal point for issues related to reproductive health, maternal health, and infant health.
- International Council on Infertility Information Dissemination (INCIID – pronounced “inside”) – The IINCIID is a nonprofit organization that helps individuals and couples explore their family-building options. INCIID provides current information and immediate support regarding the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of infertility and pregnancy loss, and offers guidance to those considering adoption or childfree lifestyles.
- Resolve: The National Infertility Association – Established in 1974, RESOLVE is dedicated to ensuring that all people challenged in their family building journey reach resolution through being empowered by knowledge, supported by community, united by advocacy, and inspired to act. RESOLVE serves all people challenged in their family building journey.
- Planned Parenthood – Planned Parenthood was founded on the revolutionary idea that women should have the information and care they need to live strong, healthy lives and fulfill their dreams — no ceilings, no limits.
- International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) – ICM envisions a world where every childbearing woman has access to a midwife’s care for herself and her newborn.
- American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) – ACNM is the professional association that represents certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) and certified midwives (CMs) in the United States. With roots dating to 1929, ACNM sets the standard for excellence in midwifery education and practice in the United States and strengthens the capacity of midwives in developing countries.
- Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) – MANA’s vision is that midwifery is an essential maternity care option that must be fully integrated into the U.S. health care system. MANA asserts that investing in midwives and midwife-led care is fundamental to delivering high quality maternity care.
- Mother Health International (MHI) – MHI is a nonprofit organization dedicated to respond and provide relief to pregnant women and children in areas of disaster, war and extreme economic poverty. We are committed to reducing perinatal mortality rates by creating culturally competent and sustainable birth centers using the midwifery model of care.
- Association of Perinatal Naturopathic Doctors (APND) – A Perinatal Naturopath is a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine that has further developed his or her interest in providing care to women and their families throughout preconception, pregnancy, labour and the postpartum period.
- The International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) – ICPA is a non-profit organization of chiropractic family practitioners dedicated to advancing public awareness and attainment of the chiropractic family wellness lifestyle
Best Medical Mummy Websites
- FAVORITE MEDICAL MUMMY SITE:
Ask Dr. Sears – AskDrSears.com is intended to help parents become better informed consumers of health care. The information presented in this site gives general advice on parenting and health care. Always consult your doctor for your individual needs.
- Dr. Aviva Romm, MD – Dr. Romm is a a midwife, herbalist, ecologist, mom, writer, and Yale-trained MD. The Internet has become my tool for inspiring a women’s health revolution. Its power in making health information available that can help literally thousands of women to transform their health each day is incredible.
- Healthy Children – HealthyChildren.org is the only parenting website backed by 66,000 pediatricians committed to the attainment of optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults.
- Integrative Pediatrics Online – It is the goal of Dr. Paul Thomas and the team at Integrative Pediatrics to partner with you to navigate the complex choices we face in today’s world. This is especially important in avoiding toxins such as pesticides, plastics, and heavy metals, including the ones found in certain vaccines. We offer the best in pediatric care for infants, children and adolescents in the Portland Metropolitan area.
- Dr. Hannam Fertility Centre – The vision of the Dr. Hannam Fertility Centre is to lead Canada in fertility care by providing access to the most advanced, leading-edge technology in the world.
- Natural Fertility Info – Here at Natural Fertility Info.com we are focused on helping couples learn how to support their fertility, overcome fertility issues and prepare for a healthy pregnancy.
- Fertility.ca – The Hannam Fertility Centre launched this non-profit project because they believe every woman should be educated and empowered throughout her fertility process. However, it’s hard to find an accurate, unbiased resource that doesn’t require a medical degree to understand.
- TCART Fertility Partners – Starting a family is one of the most important decisions of our lives. But for one in 10 couples, achieving pregnancy does not occur as planned. Happily today’s advances in assisted reproductive technology (ART) make it possible for the majority of couples to fulfill their dreams of having a family.
- Mothering – Today Mothering.com is the largest online destination for parents interested in exploring natural and eco-conscious living — including birth and medical choice, breastfeeding, attachment parenting, gentle discipline, educational alternatives, healthy eating and green products.
- Mom MD – MomMD is the largest and best site devoted to connecting women in medicine. Our goal is to encourage and support women physicians, residents, medical students, premeds, and nurses, not only in their careers but also in their everyday life.
- Mampedia – Mamapedia connects moms at every stage of their children’s lives to compelling content from the source they trust most: other moms. Every day, moms turn to Mamapedia.com for advice on everything moms need: parenting, health, family, finance, pregnancy, nutrition, and travel; and on children of every age from infant to adult.
- International Breastfeeding Centre (IBC) – IBC is a non-profit organization and home to the world-renowned Newman Breastfeeding Clinic, offering breastfeeding support, education, and training. Our vision is to be an internationally respected and critically acclaimed centre of excellence in the study and teaching of lactation medicine, and the practice of breastfeeding management and support.
- Baby Bloomers – Baby Bloomers was born out of a real need for fertility and perinatal support by trusted experts and coaches. In a day and age where more and more couples are waiting until their careers become established before beginning to start a family, infertility rates are rising higher than ever. Naturopathic Doctor Jessica Sangiuliano created Baby Bloomers to serve this need.
- Dr. Laura Kent-Davidson, ND – Dr. Laura is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor (ND) and Dr. Jack Newman trained International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). Her Prenatal Breastfeeding Companion talks about latching, positioning, how to know the baby is getting enough milk, how to manage breastfeeding sessions, as well as bonus postpartum wellness topics including mood, nutrition, infant mental health, and sleep.
- Brownroots Baby – Dr. Corinne Brown, Naturopathic doula founded Brownroots Baby to work with moms who want to give birth naturally. She gives moms the tools to prime their mind and body for labour, while making it easier to cope with contractions so they can have a smooth & efficient birth.
- Dr. Mom, ND – Dr. Michelle Peris is Dr. Mom, ND, a Naturopathic doctor who is passionate about helping people reach and maintain optimal health. As a clinician, Dr. Michelle has a special interest in women’s and pediatric health care, including perinatal care.
- Better By Dr. Brooke – As a licensed Naturopathic Doctor (ND) and functional medicine practitioner, Dr. Brooke attended Seattle, Washington’s Bastyr University, where she earned a Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine and Masters in Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine. She has continued her learning in her areas of specialty – weight loss, women’s health and hypothyroidism – by studying and working with leading functional medicine physicians including Dr Datis Kharrahzian, Dr David Brady, and Dr Tori Hudson.
- Better Everyday – A podcast founded by Dr. Brooke Kalanick, ND of Better By Dr. Brooke and Sarah Fragoso of Everyday Paleo. These ladies have teamed up to bring you their shared passion of helping women live their bigger, better life.
- Dr. Jolene Brighten, ND – Dr. Brighten is a Functional Medicine Naturopathic Doctor, entrepreneur, best selling author, speaker and mother. Jolene helps women balance their hormones, reverse their autoimmune disease and fall back in love with life!
- Treat Authism and ADHD: Putting the Pieces Together – Treat Autism is an informational website for parents and professionals looking for the rapidly increasing evidence supporting the medical treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, OCD and Tourette Syndrome. Founded by Dr. Sonya Doherty, Naturopathic doctor, she has completed The Autism Research Institute’s Level I and II Defeat Autism Now! (DAN) training, providing her with the research and expertise necessary to help every child reach their developmental potential.
- Dr. Tori Hudson, ND – Dr. Hudson is a Naturopathic physician, author, educator, researcher and founder of A Woman’s Time – Menopause options and natural medicine. Dr. Hudson graduated from the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in 1984 and has since served the college in many capacities including Professor, Medical Director, Associate Academic Dean, and Academic Dean.
- Conceive Health – Conceive Health provides innovative fertility support founded by Dr. Tracy Malone, ND and Dr. Jennifer Fitzgerald, ND. Conceive Health is here to help you navigate your path and encourage you to evolve toward optimal health.
Best Health and Nutrition Mummy Websites
- FAVORITE HEALTHY MUMMY SITE:
Baby Center – Baby Center is the #1 pregnancy and parenting digital destination, BabyCenter reaches more than 45 million parents a month from every corner of the globe through its 11 owned and operated properties in 9 different languages. Products include websites, mobile apps, online communities, email series, social programs, print publications, and public health initiatives.
- Parenting – Modern families and fresh ideas.
- Zero to Three – ZERO TO THREE works to ensure that babies and toddlers benefit from the family and community connections critical to their well-being and development. Healthy connections help build babies’ brains.
- Wellness Mama – As the largest online resource for natural moms, you’ll find practical resources to make natural living and real food cooking simple, enjoyable and fun!
- Evolutionary Parenting – EP is a philosophy surrounding parenting that involves biology, history, neuroscience, anthropology, and developmental psychology. In addition to the philosophy, Evolutionary Parenting is about understanding and integrating research into our decision making process.
- Mama Natural – Genevieve and her husband started making videos six years ago to document their first pregnancy. 60 million video views later, we’re more passionate than ever about helping families and moms-to-be lead healthier and more natural lives.
- The Bump – From the creators of The Knot and The Nest, The Bump gives first-time millennial parents the lowdown on fertility, pregnancy, birth and babies with stage-by-stage content, expert advice, breaking news, style inspiration and interactive tools—across all of our platforms (including our apps, mobile and desktop site).
- Attachment Parenting – The attachment parenting philosophy is about parents and caregivers providing a nurturing, consistent, immediate response to a child’s direct and indirect needs. Attachment parenting is about treating children with the dignity, kindness and respect afforded any adult.
- The World of My Baby (WOMB) – The WOMB grew out of a passion for supporting women and their families as birth and postnatal doulas. Their vision is to serve exceptionally and foster healthy relationships from conscious creating, informed pregnancy, mindful birth, and parenting in a non-judgmental atmosphere through self awareness, support, education and an integrated health care team.
- Nancy Mohrbacher – Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA, fell in love with breastfeeding while nursing her three sons, Carl, Peter, and Ben, who are now grown. Her books for parents include Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers, which she co-authored with Kathleen Kendall-Tackett, Working and Breastfeeding Made Simple, and her tiny troubleshooting guide Breastfeeding Solutions: Quick Tips for the Most Common Nursing Challenges. Its companion Breastfeeding Solutions app has more than 30,000 downloads and is available on the App Store, Google Play, and the Amazon Appstore.
- Breastfeeding Inc. – At Breastfeeding Inc., our aim is to empower parents by ensuring they receive the most up-to-date information to assist them with their breastfeeding baby. The creators of Breastfeeding Inc., Dr Jack Newman and lactation consultant Edith Kernerman have collectively seen tens of thousands of babies over the years. They both speak internationally at lactation medicine conferences and have created numerous resources for both health care professionals and for patients.
- Precious Little Sleep – Founder Alexis Dubeif has a lot of personal experience with kids and sleep, was (is) a huge reader of baby books, academic research, and connected with a number of pediatricians and pediatric sleep specialists.
- Natural Mother Magazine – This website and magazine were born out of a desire for something more and something different than what is already available. There is a need for a online natural mothering magazine, in a flip page style format.
- Baby Pow – From the creator of Protein Pow, the point of this website is to connect you to people, information, and ideas you may not have previously considered. The goal is to give you access to, if not useful, at least thought-provoking and well-researched information.
- Mama Glow – Mama Glow is an abundant, radiant energy that comes from within. It’s about your initiation, birthing yourself as a powerful woman, as you prepare to give birth to your bundle of joy.
- Fertile Hope – LIVESTRONG Fertility is dedicated to providing reproductive information, resources and financial support to survivors whose cancer and its treatment present risks to their fertility.
- La Leche League Canada – LLL Canada encourages, promotes and provides mother-to-mother breastfeeding support and educational opportunities as an important contribution to the health of children, families and society.
- Red Tent Sisters – Kim & Amy, the blood sisters behind the Red Tent Sisters. Amy is the resident fertility expert as an Occupational Therapist, certified as a Holistic Reproductive Health Practitioner and a practitioner of the Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy. Kim is a Sex Coach and has been featured as a guest on several TV shows (Cosmo TV, Bringing Sexy Back, and Sex Matters).
- Precision Nutrition – Precision Nutrition helps people transform their lives through expert coaching, ongoing support, and guided mentorship.
- Radicata Nutrition – Founded by Aglaee Jacob, registered Dietician and holistic nutritionist, Aglaee has a deep respect for the farmers producing our food. For the soil, sun, water and bees allowing us to eat. For our body telling us exactly what food it needs to function better (if we learn how to listen). Her nutrition philosophy is based on REAL food.
- Real Food Mamas Podcast – Stephanie Greunke and Aglaée Jacob are two crunchy moms chatting about health, nutrition and just what real life is as a mom!
- Rock Your Hormones – Stephanie Greunke is a registered dietitian with a master’s degree in nutrition who specializes in women’s health. She is a certified personal trainer and prenatal and postnatal corrective exercise specialist. Stephanie guides and supports women locally and globally through her web-based private practice.
- Healthy Mama Happy Baby – Whole 30 Mama is brought to you by Melissa and Stephanie. Melissa Hartwig is a Certified Sports Nutritionist who specializes in helping people change their relationship with food and create life-long, healthy habits. Stephanie Greunke is a registered dietitian with a master’s degree in nutrition who specializes in women’s health.
- The Bump to Baby Show – Founded by Rachel and Mira. Dr. Rachel is a Naturopathic doctor, birth doula, licensed acupuncturist, and mom to 3 children. Mira is a mom to 2 children and have been an early childhood educator for 15 years. Together they started West End Naturopathic Doulas, a service that supports families in pregnancy, birth and beyond.
- Breanne Kallonen – Breanne is a mom of two, a wife and a Naturopathic Medical Intern at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto, Ontario. Her mission is to advocate and educate through knowledgeable and trustworthy perspectives on health and wellness.
- Eco Chic Movement – Founded by Dr. Alexis Reid, BASc., MSc., ND, Eco Chic Movement is committed to bringing you 100% chemical-free skin care products. Dr. Reid is a chemical engineer, pharmacologist, toxicologist and Naturopathic doctor.
- Aviva Allen – Aviva is a kids’ nutritionist with twelve years of experience as a nutritionist, trained as a chef and has practical advice as mom of two boys. She helps families from a nutritional standpoint, but will also to address specific feeding challenges, establish healthy eating habits and create a more positive mealtime environment.
Best Fitness and Pelvic Health Mummy Site
- FAVORITE FITNESS MUMMY SITE:
Jessie Mundell – A fitness and lifestyle coach with a focus in female strength training and, more specifically, pre and postnatal exercise. She is passionate about helping women elevate and transform their lives, and watching ladies fall in love with their bodies.
- Bellies Inc – Bellies Inc. was founded in 2010 by three moms working independently in Pre/Post Natal Fitness and Physiotherapy.
- Spinning Babies: Easier birth with fetal positioning – Parents and providers use Spinning Babies to reduce pain, increase comfort, and help babies into a good position. Spinning Babies is an approach using our body’s physiology to reduce the need for interventions. Self care activities such as daily stretches begin making space for the baby.
- Coach JVB – A blog by Coach Jenny Van Barneveld (JVB) – Mommy, fitness expert, nutritionist, food lover and entrepreneur
- Pelvienne Wellness – Founder Kim Vopni is a Certified Personal Trainer, a Certified Pre/Post Natal Fitness Consultant, a Certified Fitness For Fertility Specialist, a Certified Pfilates Instructor and a Hypopressive Method trainer. When she was pregnant she could not wrap her head around how a giant baby was going to come out of her vagina and leave me able to laugh without leaking, enjoying sex and still able to hold a tampon in.
- Beyond Fit Mom – Founded by Kate Horney who holds a Bachelor’s degree in Health and Exercise Science and certified Metabolic Effect Level III Hormonal Nutrition Consultant. BeyondFit Mom is a health, fitness, and fat-loss system aimed at moms and young women who are trying to fit it all in.
- Movement Duets – Cara Turnquist and Jill McLean are both Mobility Experts, Personal Trainers, connoisseurs of spandex and practitioners of the Beautiful Adventure we call life. With over a combined 20 years in the Fitness Industry they encourage their clients to strive for holistic health through fitness, nutrition, relationships and a connection with nature.
- Burrell Education – For the last decade, Burrell Education has curated live and and now online courses and events designed to educate and support Women’s Health and Fitness Coaches in the creation of STAND-OUT offerings within their businesses that have the potential to transform the lives of the women they serve.
Best Mummy Blogs
- FAVORITE MUMMY BLOG:
Kelly Mom – Kelly Mom was developed to provide evidence-based information on breastfeeding and parenting. Kelly Bonyata is the mother of three lovely children, and an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
- Scary Mommy – Scary Mommy was started by Jill Smokler in early 2008 as an innocent online baby book to chronicle her stay-at-home days with her children. It transformed into a massive vibrant community of millions of parents, brought together by a common theme: Parenting doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Mommypotamus – Heather is the Mommypotamus. She is a researcher who relies on evidence-based research to guide my decisions on food, natural remedies, birth, and making my own beauty and cleaning products.
- The Resourceful Mother – Meredith Deasley is an author, speaker, teacher, pediatric nutritionist and life coach.
Did we miss any of your favorite sites? Join the conversation in our private Facebook Group and let us know which websites are your favorites for 2017!
Also, don’t forget to check out “The Best Mummy Book Resources for 2017“.